Head of the Department
Mechanical Engineering Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering started with the inception of the Institute in the academic year 2009-10 with an intake of 60 and soon doubled to 120 in the very next academic year. The department offers Diploma, Undergraduate and Post graduate programs. It has well equipped Laboratories with state-of-the-art equipments. The department consists of well experienced team of dedicated faculty members who are highly qualified in their respective fields of specialization. Some of the faculty members have PhD degrees and the others are pursuing PhD. The Faculty members of the Department actively involved in research and present their research papers in national and international conferences and publish the research findings in National and International Journals. The graduating students are well placed in industry as well as in academia mainly through the campus placements and also by direct recruitments. Many of the student Projects get selected by KSCST, Anveshana, Prerana & other competitive Project Exhibition for funding and awards every year.
A Post Graduation Program in the specialization of ‘Machine Design’ started subsequently in the Academic Year 2013-14 with an intake 18 is performing exceedingly well with all the students placed in reputed companies.
Vision of the Department
To be a centre of Academic and Research Excellence in the field of Mechanical Engineering to Develop Engineers to Meet and Exceed the Societal Requirements through Innovation, Information and Involvement.
Mission of the Department
- Prepare effective and responsible engineers for local and global requirements by providing quality and value based education
- Produce Mechanical Engineers with a strong theoretical and practical knowledge by grooming the students in the fundamental principles of engineering
- Respond effectively to the needs of the industry and changing world by providing consultancy to the neighborhood and cultivating the spirit of entrepreneurship
- To imbibe high social, managerial and entrepreneurial values in the students.
- To strengthen Industry-Institute interaction for knowledge sharing.
- Course Duration: 4 years
- Total Credits: 100
- Student Capacity: Max 60 Students
- Class Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday
- Class Time: 9.00 am - 4.00 pm
- Course Teachers: 08
- Basic workshop:(Bench vises, Welding, sheet metal)
- CAD Lab:(Work Stations -HP, Make i3, 500GB Hard Disk/ 8 GB RAM)
- Metrology Lab:(Coordinate Measuring Machine)
- Material Science and Metallography Laboratories:(UTM, Hardness Testing Machines, NDT, Torsion Test)
- Machine Shop:(Lathe Machines, Milling Machines, Shaper Machine, Grinding Machine)
- CAMD Lab:(Work Stations -HP, Make i3, 500GB Hard Disk/ 8 GB RAM)
- Foundry and Forging Lab: ( Foundry Practice, Mould, Forging , Permeability Test)
- Fluid Mechanics & Machinery Lab:(Turbines, Pelton wheel, Compressor)
- Energy conversion Laboratories:(2 strokes, 4 strokes and multi cylinder Petrol engines, Diesel Engines)
- Heat Transfer Lab:(Conduction, Convection and Radiation Experiments)
- CAMA Lab:(Work Stations -HP, Make i3, 500GB Hard Disk/ 8 GB RAM)
- CIM Lab:(Work Stations -HP, Make i3, 500GB Hard Disk/ 8 GB RAM)
- Design Lab:(Governor, Gyroscope, Balancing and Vibrator)
###B.E(Mechanical Engg),M.Tech(Production Management),Ph.D,M.I.S.T.E
Dr. Irfan G has obtained both B.E Degree in Mechanical Engineering and M.Tech in Production Management from B.E.C, Bagalkot under Karnataka University Dharwad and Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum respectively. Obtained Ph.D from prestigious Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad. Areas of interest are CAD/CAM, TQM, Operations Research, QC, QA, NBA Accreditation work, Quality Management, Motivation classes for Students as well as Staff members. Published ‘Manufacturing Technology’ a Reference Book for the Engineering students. Has 18 International journal papers and 10 National papers for his credit. Currently working as Dean (Academic), Professor & Head (Department of Mechanical Engineering) and has about 20 years of teaching as well as industrial experience.
Future goals of the department:
- To set up a full fledged Research centre.
- To set up Training Centers in association with industries and higher learning institutes
- To start centre of excellence in various fields of Mechanical engineering.
- To work on externally funded research projects and take up consultancy projects
Research scholars in the department:
|Sl No||Faculty Name||Guide||University||Research Topic|
|1||Mrs. Leela B N||Dr. N D Prasanna Professor, MSRIT Bangalore||VTU, Belagavi||Investigation of structure, Mechanical properties and wear property evaluation of AL6061 alloy subjected to B4C reinforcement.|
|2||Ms. Raksha M.S||Dr. B Adaveesh Associate Professor IEM Department SIT, Tumakuru||VTU, Belagavi||Development & Property evaluation of aluminium alloy reinforced with B4C & Hybrid composite.|
|3||Mr. ShivaNiranjan N||Dr. MallikarjunayyaC Math Associate Professor VTU PG Center, Mysuru||VTU, Belagavi||Experimental and CFD analysis of fire clay bed material for CFBC fuelled with Rice husk, Saw Dust & Charcoal for varying Parameters.|
|4||Mr.LohitheshJaga Kumar||Dr. J P Gangigatti Professor& Head, IEM Department SIT, Tumakuru||VTU, Belagavi||Experimental Analysis & Optimization Mechanical &Tribiological properties of Aluminium metal matrix composite with graphene and coconut ash shell particles.|